5 tips to Help Manage Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is one of the most common problems in the UAE. It is important that you may simple lifestyle and dietary changes to prevent diabetic related complications.
The following tips provide some basic advice to start you off in the right direction.
1. Avoid Hidden Sugars
When you have diabetes, your body is unable to control blood sugars. You may know about reducing your intake of foods such as biscuits, cakes and sweets. But did you know about these foods?
- 1 date – 3 teaspoons
- 150mls orange juice – 3 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon of honey – 1 teaspoon of sugar
2. Weigh out portion sizes of carbohydrates
Starchy foods such as rice, pasta, bread and potatoes are broken down in the body to form sugar.
You don’t need to avoid these foods though as they break down quite slowly and mostly your body can control them.
The problem comes from large portion sizes of these foods which your body can not control.
So, get weighing!
- Rice – 75g / meal (dry weight)
- Pasta – 80g / meal (dry weight)
- Bread – 60g / meal
- Cereals – 30 -40g / meal
Remember to only have 1 carbohydrate at each meal
3. Lose weight around your middle
When you have type 2 diabetes, your body still produces some insulin. This is the hormone which controls your blood sugars.
Losing the fat around your middle will help your insulin work better. You may even be able to come off your medications!
4. Get a Review!
When was the last time your saw your endocrinologist and dietitian? When did you last get a diabetic foot check or eyesight test?
Diabetes is a progressive condition which means you need to be reviewed regularly. Failure to do this could lead to serious complications.
5. Get Active
One way to reduce your blood sugars is to exercise regularly. You probably already know this right? But how to motivate yourself?
Here are some top tips used with clients
- Set specific goals that week which are realistic
- Start small – if you don’t do any exercise currently, walking may be a good place to start
- Find a friend – exercising together is way more fun and you stay accountable
- Fit it into your day – on the way home from work, before work or get a PT to come to your building.
Want more help?
If you want to avoid diabetes complications and are fed of up battling this on your own, book in with our UK trained dietitians.
Our dietitians can provide tailored plans based on your needs and the latest research.