Depression is one of the world’s most prevalent and debilitating conditions. Each year, close to a million sufferers take their lives, yet it’s still often unacknowledged, with three-quarters of people in developing countries not receiving treatment(WHO, 2018).
Anxiety disorders are also widespread. According to WHO (WHO), as many as one in 13 suffer with some form of anxiety; from specific or social phobias to severe depressive disorders.
Depression – The Signs and Symptoms
Symptoms vary from person to person, but can include:
- Feelings of sadness, anxiety, hopelessness or pessimism
- Feelings of numbness or dislocation
- Feeling overwhelmed or guilty
- Reduced enjoyment in pleasurable activities, such as hobbies
- Reduced energy
- Excessive tiredness, a feeling of being unable to keep up with daily life
- Problems with sleeping
- Changes in appetite or weight
- Suicidal thoughts / attempts
- Generalised aches and pains without a specific cause
Some people may experience several of these symptoms, others only one or two. In order to be diagnosed with depression, several of the symptoms above must be identified, including a low mood. However, if you only suffer from a few of the symptoms, you might benefit from treatment too.
Looking to the Future
It’s impossible to predict how long depression will last for, or how severe it will be – as this depends on the patient and their individual situation. However, it’s important to remember, regardless of how long you’ve been suffering with it (or how serious it is), that help is at hand.
If you’re struggling and suspect that you have depression or anxiety, our doctors and clinical team in Dubai and Abu Dhabi are a phone call away and offer you the full support. Our clinical team will mainly focus focus on helping you to manage your symptoms and step firmly onto the path of complete recovery.