Dr Alvi is a highly qualified UK trained Laparoscopic Colorectal and General Surgeon. He has completed his higher surgical training in Cambridge and London along with a broad experience of working in the NHS England for more than 20 years.
He was awarded a certificate of completion of training (CCT) in September 2010 working in various specialties of surgery and certified specialist training in Colorectal Surgery. He has also been awarded Fellowship in Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery and has been working in the NHS as a Consultant since 2011. He has also been affiliated with working in private UK hospital groups of Spire Healthcare group and HCA group at Wellington hospital London and Princes Grace hospital at Harley street in Central London.
Advanced Laparoscopic Colon & Rectal Cancer Surgery with Reduced Recovery Time
Dr Alvi has specialized in advanced surgical treatment of colon and rectal cancer as well as surgery for inflammatory bowel disease via key-hole method and follows enhanced recovery pathway (ERP) for speedy recovery after all major laparoscopic (key-hole) procedures. He has performed more than 450 open and more than 600 laparoscopic colorectal operations with good surgical and oncological outcomes comparable to national standards. Approximately 97% of his bowel cancer cases have been performed laparoscopically (key-hole).
Accredited Expert in Colonoscopy
He has been a skilful endoscopist and has performed more than 5000 colonoscopies with a completion rate of 97%. He has completed Training the Trainers course in colonoscopy from St. Mark’s hospital London and has been accredited by JAG as a trainer. He also performs gastroscopy and sigmoidoscopy.
Advanced Hemorrhoids Treatment in Dubai
Dr Alvi also has a special interest in treatment of haemorrhoids (piles) with latest techniques such as RAFAELO (Radiofrequency ablation), Laser treatment, Stapled Haemorrhoidectomy, HALO procedure, banding and Phenol injection.
Trans Anal Microsurgery
He also performs Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEMS) and Transanal Minimaly invasive surgery (TAMIS) for large rectal polyps and small cancers specially in the elderly not fit for major rectal surgery.
Extensive Surgical Experience
He has experience of working in past as a consultant in world renowned centres of excellence such as The Royal Marsden Hospital London and St Mark’s Hospital London where he had invaluable experience of being involved in advanced colorectal cancers, redo surgery for cancer, surgery for inflammatory bowel disease (pouch surgery) and pelvic exenteration surgery.
General Surgery Experience
Dr Alvi also performs surgery for gallstones (laparoscopic cholecystectomy), open & laparoscopic hernia repairs and pilonidal sinus surgery as part of his general surgical commitment.
Dr Alvi has been working as one of the lead consultant in a North London hospital prior to joining Kings Dubai.
Areas of Expertise:
- Colon & rectal cancer surgery (Laparoscopic and open)
- Inflammatory bowel disease surgery (Ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease) Ileooanal pouch surgery
- Haemorrhoid(piles) treatments; RAFAELO procedure (Radiofrequency Ablation), Laser therapy, Stapled haemorrhoidopexy (PPH), HALO, banding and injection of sclerosing solution.
- Rectal prolapse surgery (Delorems, Altemeiers, Laparoscopic rectopexy)
- Transanal endoscopic microsurgery (TEMS) and Transanal minimally invasive surgery (TAMIS)
- Diverticular disease surgery
- Anal fistula surgery (Anal advancement flap surgery, fistula plug, fistula glue & FiLaC Laser procedure)
- Anal fissure treatment
- Endoscopy (colonoscopy, gastroscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy, polypectomy)
- Laparoscopic surgery for intraabdominal adhesions, Appendicectomy
- Hernia surgery (key-hole and open)
- Gallstone (Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy)
- Pilonidal sinus surgery
Articles by Dr Atif Alvi
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT