Dr. Alvi is a highly qualified UK trained Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgeon who has completed his higher surgical training in Cambridge and London.
He was awarded a certificate of completion of training (CCT) in September 2010 working in various specialties of surgery and certified specialist training in Colorectal Surgery. Since finishing his training, he has completed Fellowship in Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery and has been appointed in the NHS as a Consultant since 2011. He is also affiliated with working in private UK hospital groups of Spire Healthcare group and HCA group at Wellington hospital London and Princes Grace hospital at Harley street in Central London. Dr. Alvi has shown to be efficient, confident and safe dealing with both elective and emergency work.
He has performed more than 400 open and more than 600 laparoscopic colorectal operations with good surgical and oncological outcomes comparable to national standards. Approximately 95% of his bowel cancer cases have been performed laparoscopically (key-hole) with good success.
Dr Alvi has been JAG accredited since 2011 and have performed more than 4000 colonoscopies with a completion rate of more than 98%. He has completed Training the Trainers course in colonoscopy from St. Mark’s hospital London and have been accredited by JAG as a trainer.
With regards to general surgical experience, Dr Alvi performs as a routine e.g. laparoscopic cholecystectomy for gallstones, open & laparoscopic hernia repairs and pilonidal sinus surgery as part of his general surgical commitment.
Dr Alvi also has experience of working in past as a consultant in world renowned centres of excellence such as The Royal Marsden Hospital London and St Mark’s Hospital London where he had invaluable experience of being involved in advanced colorectal cancers, redo surgery for cancer, surgery for inflammatory bowel disease (pouch surgery) and pelvic exenteration surgery. He follows enhanced recovery pathway (ERP) as a multidisciplinary approach pre and postoperatively for speedy recovery after all major laparoscopic procedures. Dr Alvi is currently working as one of the lead consultant in West Hertfordshire hospitals NHS Trust situated in outskirts of North London since 2016.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Colon & rectal cancer and benign disease surgery (Laparoscopic and open)
- Inflammatory bowel disease surgery / Ileoanal pouch surgery (Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative colitis)
- Haemorrhoid surgery (open haemorrhoidectomy, Injection, banding, stapled haemorrhoidectomy, Rafaelo (Laser) Procedure, HALO procedure.
- Anal fistula surgery (Anal advancement flap surgery, fistula plug, fistula glue & FiLaC Laser procedure)
- Anal fissure treatment
- Endoscopy (colonoscopy, gastroscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy, polypectomy)
- Laparoscopic surgery for intraabdominal adhesions
- Hernia surgery (key-hole and open) any hernia
- Gallstone (Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy)
- Pilonidal sinus surgery
- Rectal prolapse surgery (Delorems, Altemeiers, Laparoscopic rectopexy)
- Transanal endoscopic microsurgery (TEMS)
- Transanal minimally invasive surgery (TAMIS)
- Diverticular disease surgery