Dr Lucia Heras has more than 25 years’ experience at Consultant level, after working 10 years in Madrid, Spain, moved to UK where she got a Substantive Consultant post in London (UK) at Newham University Hospital where she developed her Hand Unit for 13 years.
She is well recognized by colleagues Nationally and Internationally, she was appointed as a Professor and Examiner in London (UK) for the University of London and for the GMC (General Medical Council) examining for the PLAB for more than 8 years. She was later appointed by the GMA as an Assessor for Fitness in the specialty of Orthopaedics doing that for 5 years.
Dr Lucia has been always involved in teaching and she has been invited to give her experience in a number of National and International Courses and Congresses in Hand Surgery all over the World. She also has been a Faculty member in the 2 year Fellowship training program in Hand Surgery running in Gaza Strip as part of Humanitarian work for a period of 6 years.
In 2008 a good offer made her come to UAE, first to Abu Dhabi working as the only Consultant Hand surgeon for a period of 3 years, after that she decided to move to Dubai, and worked for Advanced Surgery where she organized her Hand Unit, chairing this Unit for more than 6 years.
Since her arrival in UAE in 2008, and noticing the level of hand injuries treatments done in the Country, Dr Lucia started working hard in organizing Courses and Workshops in Hand Surgery, and even created 6 years ago the IAOC, 1st Congress dedicated only to Hand Surgery, now left to be run by the UAE Society for Hand Surgery, trying to spread knowledge in the specialty of hand surgery.
Dr Heras has published a number of papers in hand/wrist pathology and trauma, been also co-author of a book in management of different infections, edited in Spain (Manejo de Infecciones en Urgencia),
And also in the Hand Surgery Book edited in 2010 by IFSSH, she was invited to write some of the chapters.
- Complex/complicated fractures fixation of hand, wrist or elbow
- Malunited or Non-united fractures of the Hand/wrist/forearm (Scaphoid, Radius, Ulna)
- Ligament repair and Ligament Reconstruction (TFCC, SLIL, LTIL, UCL)
- Tendons repair and Tendon Reconstruction with tendon graft or tendon transposition
- Joint Replacements in the Hand/wrist (MCPJ, PIPJ, CMC, RC)
- Partial or Total Arthrodesis wrist. Severe Hand injuries
- Reconstruction surgery of the Hand and Wrist
- Treatment of Dupuytren disease
- Kienbock’s disease and customized treatment in cases of severe damage done by previous surgeries in others facilitiesor