Haemorrhoidal Artery Ligation Operation – HALO Procedure
The HALO procedure, which is short for Haemorrhoidal Artery Ligation Operation, is an hemorrhoid treatment minimally invasive surgery that eliminates some of the most common symptoms of hemorrhoids (also known as piles), such as bleeding, soreness, irritation, and discomfort. King’s College Hospital London UAE is one of the few hospitals in Dubai that offer this treatment procedure.
Causes of Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids occur due to the enlargement of veins around the anus. There are several factors that cause this, including:
- Chronic constipation
- Heavy lifting
- Sitting for too long
Symptoms of Hemorrhoids
Some of the common symptoms of Hemorrhoids include:
- Depending of the size of the hemorrhoid, or grade, one can experience severe pain and soreness on the area
- Itching and irritation around the anus area
- A hard lump/bulge on the location of the hemorrhoid (in or outside the anus)
- Swelling of the anus
- Painless bleeding
Treatment of Hemorrhoids with the HALO procedure
Although there are many ways of alleviating hemorrhoids, both at-home, non-surgical and surgical, sometimes additional interventional treatment is needed, depending on the severity, or grade of the hemorrhoids. The HALO procedure is a one of the few treatments that target the hemorrhoids with the aim of alleviating most the symptoms in a hospital setting.
How the HALO procedure works
The Halo procedure involves reducing the flow of blood to the hemorrhoids with the main goal of reducing the discomfort, pain and bleeding that comes with hemorrhoids, in addition to shrinking it. For large prolapsing hemorrhoids, additional treatment may be required. It focuses on the treatment of Grade 2 & 3 hemorrhoids.
The procedure, which is performed under general anesthesia, has to be done after an enema. During the process, the surgeon uses a doppler probe to help him locate the hemorrhoidal arteries. A proctoscope is then used to ligate the hemorrhoidal arteries with sutures, so as to stop the blood flow to the hemorrhoid. This leads it to shrink over time, hence drastically reducing the said symptoms of hemorrhoids.
How long does the HALO procedure take?
The treatment is a day case procedure, which means you may be discharged on the same day, but in some instances you might stay overnight. The length of the procedure depends on each individual case.
Is the procedure painful?
Most people who have undergone the HALO procedure usually report some degree of discomfort afterwards. The downtime of the procedure is also very minimal.
Benefits of the HALO procedure
- Post-operative pain is lower since there’s no excision of tissue
- It is minimally invasive
- It has minimal downtime
- It has lower complications
- Relieves hemorrhoid symptoms in the short and long term
Why You Should Choose King’s College Hospital Dubai for your hemorrhoid’s treatment?
- Our board certified and experienced colorectal specialists are the best in their field and have experience in the latest techniques of haemorrhoids treatment.
- At King’s College Hospital, we have state-of-th-art facilities, and use the latest and minimally invasive techniques to achieve faster healing with minimal downtime.
At King’s College Hospital London Dubai, we focus on patient care, and safety in a compassionate environment. Get in touch to book your consultation.
-> Back to Hemorrhoids Treatments
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT