Vascular diseases are conditions that come about when the circulatory system outside the heart is affected. This includes the arteries, veins and lymphatic vessels.
Most vascular diseases are asymptomatic, and sometimes show up when a potentially life-threatening episode takes place, like an aneurism or stroke. Early detection of any of these vascular diseases can play a big role in successfully diagnosing and treating the condition hence preventing long-term disabilities or loss of life.
Some common vascular diseases include:
- Carotid Artery Stenosis
- Peripheral Artery Disease
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
- Renal Artery Stenosis
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Spider and varicose veins
- Blood clotting conditions
- Raynaud’s Syndrome
Vascular screening can detect the presence of blockages or narrowing in the blood vessels. It is also an important tool when it comes to diagnosing any potential risks of the diseases.
Common Symptoms of Blockage & Narrowing of Blood Vessels
Although blocked or narrowed blood vessels don’t cause any major symptoms in most vascular disorder cases, sometimes some symptoms may present themselves. These include:
- Weakness or numbness of the
- Change in colour of the legs
- Pain on the feet while resting
- Painful cramps on the hips or legs (claudication)
- Sores on the feet or legs that are unable to heal or heal poorly
- Erectile dysfunction
- Breakdown and death of tissue, also known gangrene
- Coolness or tingling of the foot
- Inability to move the feet
Who Should Consider Having a Vascular Screening?
If you have one or more of the below risk factors, you should have a vascular screening.
- 55 years and above
- History of cardiovascular diseases
- History of smoking
- High cholesterol levels
- Overweight or obese
- History of heart disease
- Inactive lifestyle
- Family history of the above disorders (even if you’re below 55 years old)
Vascular screening is a fairly short and painless non-invasive set of exams that provide a good look at what is going on in the blood vessels. These tests are done by our highly trained and experienced technologists under the direction of our board-certified vascular surgeons and radiologists.
The main tests performed during a vascular screening include:
- Carotid artery ultrasound: Checks for any blockages or narrowing of the arteries in the neck
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm ultrasound: Checks for any enlargements in the abdominal aorta.
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD): Checks for any blockages or narrowing of the arteries in the legs.
Vascular Screening Packages at Kings
At King’s College Hospital London in Dubai, we have vascular screening packages which are performed after a detailed consultation with our vascular surgeons:
Basic Vascular Check-Up A – AED 450
- Non-Invasive Lower Extremity Physiologic Testing
Basic Vascular Check-Up B – AED 950
- Duplex scan of aorta, inferior vena cava, iliac vasculature, or bypass grafts; unilateral or limited study
Advance Vascular Check-Up – AED 950
- Duplex scan of extracranial arteries; complete bilateral study (neck)
Advance Carotid Vascular Check-Up – AED 1700
- Duplex scan of aorta, inferior vena cava, iliac vasculature, or bypass grafts; complete study
- Duplex scan of lower extremity arteries or arterial bypass grafts; complete bilateral study
At King’s College Hospital Dubai, we focus on offering an exemplary service. From initial consultation through to final diagnosis, treatment and beyond. Our multidisciplinary team of expert doctors, nurses, and technologists are here to offer tailored management and treatment of your condition, and to answer any questions that you may have throughout your time with us. Whatever you need us for, we’re only a phone-call away.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT