Dr Jawad Bashir is a UK trained consultant endocrinologist with certificate of completion of training in endocrinology, diabetes and internal medicine. He has vast experience of working in several tertiary care centres and university teaching hospitals in the UK including University Hospital of Wales (Cardiff UK), Morriston Hospital (Swansea, UK), Princess of Wales Hospital (Bridgend UK), Prince Charles Hospital (Merthyr Tydfil UK), Singleton University Hospital (Swansea UK), University Hospital of Coventry (Coventry UK), Broomfield Hospital (Chelmsford UK) and Basildon University Hospital (Basildon UK).
During his experience in different hospitals, Dr Jawad Bashir was involved in delivering state of the art speciality care to his patients having any endocrine disorders. He was awarded first prize for his quality improvement project in diabetes care by Royal College of Physicians of UK (2016/2017) and received runner up prize for Wales Deanery Best Trainee award (2016) due to his contributions to training programme. Apart from certificate of completion of UK training (CCT) in endocrinology and diabetes, he also completed Post graduate diploma in diabetes from Cardiff University with distinction and has completed the DANFE educator programme (DAFNE; insulin Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating). As a certified DAFNE educator doctor, Dr Jawad Bashir has developed vast expertise in use of technologies for type 1 diabetes including flash glucose monitoring (freestyle libre), use of sensor augmented insulin pumps and artificial pancreas systems (Medtronic MiniMed 780G system). He is also trained in use of technology for gestational diabetes or diabetes during pregnancy to optimise best glucose control with remote glucose monitoring throughout the pregnancy.
During his last appointment as consultant endocrinologist at Basildon University hospital, he worked as the lead of adrenal pathologies (Adrenal incidentalomas, Addison’s disease, Cushing syndrome, pheochromocytoma, Conn’s syndrome), diabetes in-patient service lead, lead for diabetic kidney disease service, Adult lead for Adolescent Transition Diabetes Service for 16- to 19-year-olds, chair for the Division of Medicine and coordinator for endocrine multi-disciplinary team (MDT) meetings to manage complex endocrine pathologies. He has vast experience in use of newer therapies for prevention of progression of diabetic kidney disease and use of flash glucose monitoring (Freetyle libre) in diabetes patients undergoing dialysis.
Dr Jawad Bashir has enthusiasm for academic activities and has taken variety of teaching roles at several university institutes and universities. He is a reviewer for the high impact Journal of Diabetes Obesity and metabolism (DOM) and has several published abstracts in the field of endocrinology. His students’ feedback has always been phenomenal confirming his remarkable teaching skills both as a patient educator as well as trainer for medical students. Some of the teaching roles held by him are:
- Associate lecturer for Anglia Ruskin University (ARU) School of medicine- Chelmsford (UK)
- University College of London (UCL) Medical School Examiner (UK)
- Diabetes Educator as DAFNE doctor (DAFNE is insulin Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating)
- Specialty training (ST3) recruitment interview panellist for North London Deanery (UK)
- Registered Tutor, PG Dip/MSc Endocrine, Faculty of endocrinology, University of South Wales, Pontypridd, (UK)
Dr Jawad Bashir runs an educational voluntary YouTube Channel (Endocrinology and Diabetes Simplified) for creating public awareness in field of endocrinology and support ongoing free medical education of his patients, students and general public in endocrinology. He strives in his free time to create videos in simplified format to answer common questions asked by patients in this subject. He translates his videos in native languages that he can speak fluently himself to help educate wider group of patients across the globe who may not have access to authentic sources of information.
Specialist in delivering treatment for:
- Disorders of thyroid hormones (too much or too little hormones) or thyroid enlargement (goitre)
- Calcium, parathyroid hormone, Vitamin D, osteoporosis and bone metabolism problems
- Pituitary hormone disorders like prolactinomas, growth hormone excess (acromegaly) or deficiency
- Pituitary gland enlargement or shrinkage microadenomas, empty sella, rathke cyst
- Adrenals gland problems (Adrenal incidentalomas, Addison’s disease, Cushing syndrome, pheochromocytoma, Conn’s syndrome); low cortisol, fatigue with long term steroid use and trial to wean off
- Reproductive hormones problems (oestrogen or testosterone replacement)
- Endocrine related menstrual periods problem or excessive hair growth (PCOS), premature ovarian failure or menopause
- Endocrine causes of infertility (prolactinomas, hypogonadism)
- Breast enlargement in men (gynaecomastia)
- Spontaneous milky discharge from breasts (galactorrhoea)
- Male impotency / Erectile dysfunction or loss of libido/sex drive
- Endocrine hypertension (Cushing syndrome, pheochromocytoma, Conn’s syndrome)
Complex diabetes cases
- Poorly controlled or newly diagnosed cases of diabetes (type1 and type2),
- Complications of diabetes specially to delay progression of diabetic kidney disease.
- Management of cardiometabolic syndrome with type 2 diabetes, obesity and history of heart attack/cardiac stents or bypass
- Obesity and metabolic syndrome with raised cholesterol or triglycerides.
Technology use in diabetes
- Uplifting the confidence among patients with type 1 diabetes by use of DAFNE principles combined with the use of latest technology like flash glucose monitoring with Freestyle libre
- Use of insulin pumps including sensor augmented insulin and artificial pancreas systems supported via DEXCOM CGM devices and Medtronic MiniMed 780G system.
- Remote glucose monitoring support tools for optimizing diabetes care during pregnancy.
- Member of Diabetes UK
- Member of Society of Endocrinology (UK)
- Member of British Medical Association (UK)
- Member of Medical & Dental Defence Union of Scotland (UK)
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (UK)
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (UK)
- Member of The Royal College of Physicians of London (UK)
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT