Urolift® is a minimally invasive treatment solution that provides relief for symptoms associated with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia – BHP (enlarged prostate). The goal of the treatment is to lift the enlarged prostate gland which presses on the bladder hence inhibiting the flow of urine from the urethra.
Urolift® treatment for enlarged prostate is considered a straightforward procedure whereby very small implants are inserted and are used to lift the prostate so that it no longer presses on the bladder. Urolift® is a one-time procedure that is done in the doctor’s office or outpatient setting, and takes less than one hour under sedation.
What is Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BHP)?
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), often known as prostate gland enlargement, is more prevalent in men as they age. An enlarged prostate gland can generate unpleasant urinary symptoms like blocking urine from leaving the bladder. It can also cause problems with the bladder, urethra, and kidneys, therefore affecting the patient’s quality of life.
What are the Symptoms of BHP?
Some of the common symptoms associated with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia include:
- Difficulty starting urination
- Weakened urine stream
- Frequent or urgent need to urinate
- Increased frequency of urination at night
- Dribbling at the end of urination
- Inability to completely empty the bladder
Who is an Ideal Candidate for the Urolift® Procedure?
An idea candidate for Urolift treatment for enlarged prostate would be:
- Anyone who does not want to take oral medication for BPH
- Those who have tried BPH medication are unhappy with the effects
- Those who want a BPH solution that preserves sexual function
- Those who want a minimally invasive treatment that can be performed in their doctor’s office
- Those who do not want to undergo major surgery due to risks of complications and side effects
- And of course, anyone experiencing urinary issues as a result of an enlarged prostate
What are the Benefits of Urolift® Procedure?
The Urolift system, which is a minimally invasive procedure, has a number of benefits compared to medication or invasive surgery. These include:
- Fast and long-lasting results
- No removal of the prostate tissue
- Minimal downtime
- It does not require continuous medication
- It does not cause unwanted sexual function side effects
- Often, men report good results and an improvement in their quality of life
- It is minimally invasive hence no major surgical cuts are involved
Recovery After Urolift® Procedure
Due to the lifting and separating effects of the implants, the patient typically experiences improved urination almost immediately. An individual can drive to and from the procedure since no general anaesthesia is used.
It is important to note that improvement in lower urinary tract symptoms secondary to BPH is durable for up to four years.
Possible Complications of Urolift®
Just like any other medical procedure, Urolift may present some major complications. These include:
- Retrograde ejaculation
- Urinary incontinence
However, if the implants are properly placed, patients should have little or no incontinence and little or no retrograde ejaculation.
After the Urolift® procedure, patients are normally prescribed antibiotics so as to prevent urinary tract infections due to urethral manipulation.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENTs