WHAT IS PREDIABETES?
Prediabetes is characterised by the presence of blood glucose levels that are higher than normal but not yet high enough to be classed as diabetes. If undiagnosed or untreated, pre-diabetes puts you at a higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Our Diabetes Clinic offers a prediabetes screening package.
SYMPTOMS of Prediabetes
Symptoms of diabetes include:
- Excessive thirst
- More frequent urination than normal
- Fatigue (extreme tiredness)
- Weight loss
- Itching around the sex organs and/or frequent thrush
- Slow healing of wounds
- Blurred vision
WHAT ARE THE RISK FACTORS FOR PREDIABETES?
You should be tested for prediabetes if you:
- Are overweight or obese
- Have a close relative (parent or sibling) who currently has or has had diabetes
- Have high blood pressure, low HDL (‘good’ cholesterol) or high triglycerides
- Are over the age of 40
- Have history of gestational diabetes (women only)
- Some groups are genetically more prone like South Asians, Afro Caribbean’s
TESTING FOR PREDIABETES
The following tests may be used to diagnose prediabetes:
- Fasting plasma glucose test
- HbA1c test hemoglobin blood test
The following results indicate the presence of prediabetes
- FPG 100 to 125 mg/dL or
- HbA1c: 39 to 46 mmol/mol (5.7 to 6.4%)
The following results indicate the presence of prediabetes:
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I HAVE PREDIABETES?
If you have prediabetes, make lifestyle changes to reduce the chance that you will get full-blown diabetes. Here’s what you should do:
- Lose Weight – Losing 5 to 10 percent of your body weight can lower your risk a lot.
- Eat Right – Choose a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products, but low in meats, sweets, and reﬁned grains. Stay away from sweet drinks, like soda and juice.
- Be active for 30 minutes a day like walking
- Quit smoking
Prediabetes super foods
If you think you are at risk of Prediabetes, book an appointment with our Diabetes specialists to discuss preventative measures and prediabetes treatment options.