Andrology is a medical specialty that deals specifically with men’s reproductive health. This includes problems relating to the male reproductive system and urological issues that are only unique to men.
Some of the men’s health issues that are addressed by our Urologist include:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Infertility in men
- Prostate and testicular cancer
- Male contraception
- Penile fractures
- Andropause (male menopause)
- Sexual health (Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Factors that Can Have an Influence on the Male Reproductive System
There are a number of factors that can cause issues with the male reproductive system and fertility. Some of these factors include:
- Sperm motility (quality of sperm)
- Low sperm count
- Testicular damage
- Inability to produce sperm
- Varicocele (enlargement of veins within the scrotum)
Diagnosis of Male Reproductive Health Issues
After visiting an andrologist/urologist with a reproductive health problem, a diagnosis will need to be made after the root cause of the issue is determined. Some of the tests one will have to undergo in order for the specialist to make an accurate diagnosis include:
- Hormone tests: This is needed because infertility issues can be caused by imbalanced hormones, or lack of testosterone as well as other hormones needed for the proper function of the male reproductive system.
- Genetics exam: This is done to determine if the patient has abnormalities that have been inherited, which have led to infertility or other andrological issues.
- Semen analysis: This is usually the first test done to determine the reproductive health of an individual. The test usually looks at the health of the sperms, any abnormalities, possible infections, quality and movement of the sperm cells.
- Ultrasound of the male reproductive organs: This determines if there are any underlying problems like blockages or varicocele, which is the main cause of low sperm count and low sperm quality, both of which are the major causes of male infertility.
Treatment Options for Male Reproductive Health Issues
After the above-mentioned tests have been done, and the results show the root cause of the problem relating to the male reproductive system, then a treatment plan is formulated, which is tailor-made to the particular patient.
Treatment options include:
- Drugs such as antibiotics and steroids to improve the quality of the sperm in cases where the quality is subpar
- When sperm production is being affected due to blockages, then surgery to undo the blockage may be recommended.
- In cases where the issue is caused by hormonal imbalance or low testosterone, then the possible mode of treatment would be Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) with the goal of increasing the testosterone levels. The same treatment approach is also recommended for male menopause.
- For erectile disfunction, sexual enhancement drugs such as Viagra and Cialis might be prescribed.
At King’s College Hospital Dubai, we focus on offering an exemplary service, from initial consultation through to final diagnosis, treatment, and beyond. Our expert Urologists and nurses are here to offer tailored management and treatment of your condition, and to answer any questions that you might have throughout your time with us. Whatever you need us for, we’re only a phone-call away.
If you’d like to book an appointment, simply fill in the appointment form below.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT