King’s Lipid Clinic (High Cholesterol Clinic)
King’s Lipids Clinic offers specialized lipid tests for the diagnosis, treatment and management of conditions that occur as a result of high cholesterol also known as high blood fats.
Cholesterol, which is found in the blood and is essential in building healthy cells, can become unhealthy if it’s in high amounts, which can increase the risk of developing heart disease. This happens when the high cholesterol leads to fatty deposits in the blood vessels, which as a result makes it difficult for blood to flow through these vessels, especially the arteries. The fatty deposits can sometimes break away from the walls of the arteries and form a clot, which can result in conditions like chest pain, stroke or heart attack.
Why You May Need to Visit a Lipid Clinic
Your primary physician or cardiologist may refer you to a lipid clinic if:
- You generally have high blood cholesterol
- You are genetically predisposed to high cholesterol levels
- Prescribed medication to lower your blood cholesterol is not working or has severe side effects
- Your levels of lipids are very low
- You need specialized treatment for a blood fat condition
Risk Factors of High Cholesterol
Some of the factors that can increase the risk of one developing high levels of cholesterol in the blood include:
- Unhealthy eating
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
Conditions that Can Lead to High Blood Cholesterol
- Chronic kidney disease
- Medications such as those used for high blood pressure, acne, cancer, and heart arrythmia.
How to Prevent High Cholesterol
There are steps that an individual can take to prevent the occurrence of high cholesterol or any blood fats conditions. These include:
- Eating a healthy diet low in sodium and unhealthy fat
- Drinking alcohol in moderation (if any)
- Managing stress effectively
- Maintaining a healthy weight through lifestyle changes
- Exercising for at least a minimum of 150 minutes per week
- Quitting smoking
The King’s Lipid Clinic is made up of a multidisciplinary team of medical experts who include cardiologists, diabetologists, endocrinologists, dietitians, and lipidologists among others.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENTs